Some Aussie states are heading back into lockdown, while others are on holidays, while some are doing both — so here’s one for the reading list – the China Internet Report 2020, authored by SCMP Research and originally authored in 2016 by China Internet expert Edith Yeung of Race Capital (an early-stage Silicon Valley venture capital fund focusing on infrastructure, fintech, and deep tech verticals).
Why do I need to know about this?
The changes since the original report in 2016 are marked — given how the China-US relationship has deteriorated since, and distrust between these two largest economies in the world has grown.
That being the case, the report provides a unique window on the massive Chinese technology economy (900M mobile users, and counting) and some of the ways in which innovation is outstripping the rest of the world.
China Internet Report 2020 trends
Some of the trends addressed in the report:
- COVID-19 having a lasting impact on China’s tech sector, including driving digitalization across various sectors
- China’s accelerated technology self-reliance in high-end integrated circuits to end reliance on foreign chips
- A massive $25Bn investment in 5G this year is driving adoption in China, user interest and consumer and industrial use cases
- The evolution of live streaming as a major new and effective marketing channel
- A preponderance of Chinese tech companies listing in Hong Kong and China
What’s else is the the China Internet Report 2020?
The report covers:
- China at a Glance
- Top Trends for 2020
- Top Funded Startups
- Deep dive analysis, data and case studies into 10 major sectors (paid)
Definitely one to read – even if only so you can pass off that you know about more than China than Wechat and Alibaba at a you next (virtual) dinner party….
You can download the report for free here.